24 Dec Blog
December brings time spent with family, good food, and holiday celebrations. We would like to remind pet owners nothing can spoil good cheer like an emergency veterinary visit. The holiday season tends to produce an increase in emergency calls, through exposure of certain foods and plant toxicants. Many holiday goods pose great danger to pets. Although it may seem safe to slip a table scrap or dessert under the table to a begging pet, but some ingredients may pose a serious threat.

Here are some tips to keep in mind this holiday season.
English Cream Golden Retrievers Puppies
🍬 Candy Can Be Deadly. Chocolate contains theobromine, a toxic substance to pets. Chocolate toxicosis is the number one canine toxicant seen by Animal Poison Control Center. Signs of chocolate toxicosis can be observed within a few hours, or up to 10-12 hours out, so be sure to keep the candy bowls and snack trays well out of your pets’ reach!

Careful with the Caffeine. Although a caffeinated boost is exactly what the doctor orders during this exhausting time of the year, our veterinarians do not recommend it for your pet! Caffeine can be fatal to pets. Clinical signs can be seen within 30 minutes to an hour.

🍇 Hold the Fruits/Veggies/Holiday Plants. It’s logical to think since fruits and vegetables are good for us, the same would be true for our pets. However, some fruits and vegetables are toxic. Keep an eye out for the following fruits and vegetables, as they are all highly toxic to dogs and cats. Onions, leeks, scallions, chives, shallots, grapes, and raisins. Holiday plants such as holly and mistletoe can result in drooling, vomiting, and diarrhea.

🍞 Unbaked Bread Dough. Unbaked bread dough can cause both bloat and alcohol poisoning when ingested. The warm stomach acts as an oven for the dough causing fermentation leading to the production of carbon dioxide and ethanol. This can result in gastric bloat. Clinical signs include a distended abdomen, colic, attempting to stretch, unproductive vomit, agitation, tachycardia, shock and collapse. Clinical signs from secondary ethanol toxicosis include hypoglycemia, weakness, sedation, vocalization, behavioral changes, blindness, and ataxia (drunken sailor walk).

🍖Bones are Bad. Although bones look like a great treat to pets, they are dangerous and can cause intestinal upset and may splinter once chewed which may become lodged in your pets throat or creating dangerous intestinal problems.

🎁 Watch the Packaging. Packaging can cause choking or intestinal blockage when ingested. Foil wrappers can become dangerous razors when swallowed, so watch for wrapped foods and excessive packaging lying about your home.

When in doubt, contact Animal Poison Control Center (ASPCA) 888-426-4435.